1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The BEST close combat units in all of Warhammer.

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 27, 2020.

1. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe something about their webs I just find satisfying. Definitely in the minority.

The Trolls-WE matchup is going to be a nailbiter. I say save it for the final round as it might be desicive. WE still have to face the K'daii so expected massive loss coming there.

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

The WE already faced the K'daai Destroyer and won that matchup, GO WITCH ELVES! :D:D
    I keep rooting for them.

Interesting to see if they will stay third.

Grrr, Imrahil

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Whoops! :)

Trolls is similar though. Although the WE's will have an easier time on their T4. I think that will make the difference to have them win the combat.

4. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, meant the trolls. The K'daii's flaming attacks will negate the trolls regen so almost certaintly a massive loss

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I don't think so. With their damage output, I don't think that it will be that close at all. Not a Massive Victory, but definitely a victory.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Definitely. The K'daai will break the trolls after the first round of combat. Massive loss for the Trolls.
    The big thing hurting the trolls is their lack of leadership. One lost round and they lose the match. In a war of attrition (down to the last man troll or lady), I really do wonder who would come out on top.

The Witch Elves were always going to be a tough matchup for the Destroyer. The Destroyer actually managed to win the round of combat, but simply didn't have enough wounds to stay in the fight. I wonder if the K'daai Fireborn could beat the Witch Elves... I doubt it, but you never know. Against the Witch Elves, the Fireborn's S5 is just as good as the Destroyer's S7 and for the same points cost the Fireborn will have twice the number of wounds.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Interesting match up possibility ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Surely you mean an interesting distraction that will pull me away from the task at hand! :p

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

No question. 2's to wound, no regen and burning body. Almost not worth running it... Poor little trolls...

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Trolls are a classic example of situational danger.

In the last battle I did against O&G, my friend took a 9-strong unit of River Trolls. Bad news for my Lizardmen especially with the -1 to hit.

However, we rolled dawn raid and his whole plan to keep them nice and tight with his general's bubble went to mahrlect. They ended up failing 2 out of 3 leadership tests and practically didn't move out of the deployment zone.

Used right (and gotten into combat where you have no worries about Stupidity) they can be a real danger to any army.

The funny thing is that the Witch Elves are also situational due to their lack of armour and T3. But in a monster match-up they really excel considering the 4 attacks per model and so the high chance of poisoned attacks special rule coming into play.

Fireborn would definitely take them out in a one-on-one match-up.

-

I'm mid coming up with my wacky ideas for my TK's vs WoC match-up. The entire thing is situational and is doing my head in!!!!

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Chaos Dwarfs have no room for mercy... release the Destroyer!! !.gif

Yup... stupidity is their downside. That's why I feel that players get a cost reduction for them. That said, Lizardmen Cowboys have to deal with Cold One stupidity issues too, and they are still our best units.

Chaos has a bit of an easier time with Trolls than O&G. That's why I always say that nobody can field Trolls as well as WoC.

They excel against most things that are lightly armoured.

As for attacks, they have 3 attacks per model:
    • 1 base attack
    • additional hand weapon
    • Frenzy

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Round 11, Match #2 - The reigning top seed, the K'daai Destroyer, versus the recently rising Mournfang Cavalry!!

Key rules in play:
    • Mournfang Cavalry: Thick-skinned, Ironfists
    • K'daai Destroyer: Blazing Body, Bound Fire Daemon, Frenzy (D3 Attacks)

upload_2021-4-29_22-22-33.png

Thunder... Thunder... Thundercats.... NOOOOOOO! :p

Sorry @Lizards of Renown , I just couldn't help myself.

upload_2021-4-29_22-25-45.png

No real surprises here. The Destroyer breaks the Mournfangs' recent winning streak. Looking at the Mournfangs' remaining matches, how many wins do you think they might be able to achieve?

Imrahil likes this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Bah!

Poor little kitties.... :(

On a more logical note, if you'd asked me my prediction for this match-up, I would have said the Destroyer with no question. If they been able to get in their impact hits they would have had a chance, but we're not playing these.

(I always appreciate the humor! That was a good one!)

I think they'll be beaten by the Skullcrushers, squeeze a victory out of the White Lions (oh please, dear God, please) but I have a bad feeling they'll lose, they'll win against the executioners and the Soul Grinder.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Even with their impact hits they would stand no chance against the Destroyer. The impact hits would fail just like their regular attacks did. Not strong enough, not magical and not poisoned. They would bounce off of the Destroyer.

16 Mourfang attacks and 12 Ogre attacks only managed only 0.5 wounds. What difference would D3 x 4 impact hits make?

:D

You think they will beat the Executioners? I see that as a massive loss for them. The Executioners are tailor made to take down things like Mournfang, especially as they will get to strike before them. The Executioners have already beaten the Skullcrushers and the Demigryph Knights.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think I may have gotten them temporarily mixed up with the Black Guard... :(

Poor little kitties...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yep, me too.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Round 11, Match #3 - Everyone's favourites :rolleyes:, the White Lions of Chrace take on the Skullcrushers of Khorne...

Key rules in play:
    • Skullcrushers: Brass Behemoth, MoK (riders only)
    • White Lions: ASF and ASL cancel each other out, Martial Prowess, Stubborn, BANNER OF THE WORLD DRAGON
    upload_2021-4-30_16-19-32.png

Well... the summary...

Skullcrushers with all magical attacks + White Lions with the BotWD = White Lions massive victory!

upload_2021-4-30_16-21-21.png

Just like that, the Skullcrushers find themselves tied for 6th place with the HPA. Can they make a comeback? The White Lions move up into 13th place; is this their last victory of the tournament?

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Stupid banner, how i hate it...

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Humph...

No, not their last victory. They'll probably win against the Arachnarok... :mad:

The Savage Orcs wil beat them as will the Chaos Trolls, I just hope the Mournfang win as well.

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

+1

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Remind me never to play High Elves with my Daemons of Chaos.... where literally EVERY model has magical attacks...

:mad::confused:

Is it just melee magical attacks? Or is it also shooting?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.