1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Golden Serpent 2016

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by The Red Devil, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

If I got it right, it depends on the category you would like to enter.
    If you wish to enter the painting category, you are required at least one WIP picture. This needs to be taken once the model has been primed, and it must be near the LO GS 2016 text. This picture proves that you painted, and not necessarily built, the model specifically for this contest. So if you wish to use that model in the painting competition you can do so as long as it did not receive any paint apart from the primer.
    However if you´d like to take part in the converting you need to take at least 3 pictures: One when the model has been built at about 20% , other when you have built about 50% and the final one (preferably with more than one angle) once the model has been finished but not primed, so the judges can see what part of the model is greenstuff, plastic or whatever else. This means that if you want to enter the converting competition the model must have been built only up to about 20% (although I don´t think there´ll be any problem if it is 30% or even 40% as long as your second WIP is not so close to the 50%, so for example is your first WIP is 40% then your second can be 70%).

And remember that at least you need 3 pictures and maximum 6. Hope this helps ;)

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Started my conversion last night and I will tell you what model I'm using, cold one mount and rider.

3. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I'm still so indecisive about what to convert for the conversion category I got afew ideas but nothing solid yet - one idea I want to do I don't know how i'll accomplish it I might find a way to :p

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Yes, the idea is to encourage people with other armies to also join in the competition, but at the same time restrict one of the categories for members of the forum (or others who have a model in that range).

I think it would be best if you just save the WIP picture for now, and then send them all when your entry is completed. It will make organization easier for us, since we do not need to look through a lot of different PMs to find all the pictures for an entry.

@Jorgik did a good answered to this question above (click here to see the post).

For the painting category entry should be with either unprimed or only primed model Im afraid. Changing the rules now would be unfair for others we already said no to.

Jorgik, Iskander, Phoedinn and 2 others like this.
  5. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Thanks @The Red Devil and @Jorgik for the replies! This kit may be disqualified (at least, I had already base-coated the skinks, but only primed the Stegadon). I might submit something else anyway. We'll see! :)

Jorgik likes this.
  6. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

What I love about this post is that now I don't feel out of place for having eight different ideas before starting my short list.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That means I'm not the only one in this position either!! I'm quite indecisive, but at least we're better off than if we had no ideas.

Jorgik and SlanntaClause like this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

My problem right now is that I have to evaluate which piece I am able to get finished in the given time...
    Too much other stuff ahead like final test and stuff... At least the last weeks of the deadline are in my holidays...

Edit: Picked up Oxyotl, my star priest or this 5th edition guy on a horned one I always forget the name of as models for the lizardmen section... For the open painting section I chose to try a speed painting technique on my dragon slayer which will be a bit psycodelic...
    And for sculpting/conversion it's my bsb, a gnome or a saurus command group...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Jorgik, Phoedinn and SlanntaClause like this.
  9. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I'm not sure if I did already but I'd like to put out a thank you to the sponsors of this competition and those organising it :)

10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I totally agree and support this...

11. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Conversion you say? :smuggrin:

I would be very, very tempted normally, however... I still have tons of exams ahead (had one today, I passed, but it sucked), so will be sitting this one out. I shall however, be watching eagerly.

Jorgik, tom ndege and SlanntaClause like this.
  12. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

One more question for the powers that be: If I want to make an entry in the "Open" category (I can't imagine encountering this problem with Lizardmen), how do you feel about custom decals / transfer sheets?

Explanation: I'm considering doing a knight. I'm considering putting a particular crest on its shield. The easy way to do this would be to download a picture from the internet, work some arts-and-crafts magic, and make a transfer or decal, instead of freehand painting it on.

I suspect, in the spirit of the contest, you would rather that I attempt to freehand it, but I thought I'd ask first since that might be very difficult :)

Alternatively: Rather than dragging something off the internet, would it be OK for me to use an official GW-made (though out of print) transfer sheet instead, and just have a slightly less-cool crest on the shield?

EDIT FOR CLARITY: I mean a Bretonnia-type knight. Not an Imperial Knight. That... is both out of my league and would be mental without decals! :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Phoedinn and SlanntaClause like this.
  13. blackrainbow
    Saurus

blackrainbow Member

14. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

I dont see how that can be a problem. If you want to use decals, go for it.

Iskander and SlanntaClause like this.
  15. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

@The Red Devil making the right de-CALLs since 1991 (Random date well my DOB - tried to make a joke :p cringe)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

The one model I want for my conversion Idea is one I don't own - Great

Xlanax_lot and Bowser like this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

So convert a model into the one you want for conversion. Double your chances for winning that way.

Xlanax_lot and SlanntaClause like this.
  18. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

The thing Is it's the pose the models In I wanted :p I've got time to buy one hopefully while I look at other things - I ordered some green stuff so that'll be a new experience soon - My conversion will mostly be gluing bits from other models onto other models though

The Red Devil and Bowser like this.
  19. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

IMG_1793.JPG

My signage i'm working on - It will give away that is my entry unless I get it nice enough that others wanna print out one for themselves :) - Gonna add the actual English version on it too eventually :p

Warden, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  20. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I thibk I've got an idea for the convesrion contest as well... I would definately eould like to get an entry finished for the lizardmsn painting one but ai doubt i will be able to finish it in the time span

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.