1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Neveroddoreven's New Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by neveroddoreven, Sep 21, 2013.

1. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Big update today.

I finally finished the Terradons, with the champion.
    TerradonRiders4.jpg
    I used the pattern from Zwup to mark him out, and painted the rider purple for no other reason than I wanted to.
    TerradonRiders3.jpg

Bastiladon;
    Bastiladon1.jpg
    I painted white eye-spots on a dark head to make it look like a killer-whale (or a ladybird). I buggered it up at first and did it the wrong way round and it looked like a panda.
    Bastiladon2.jpg
    The Skink crew are painted like my Southlanders. When I get round to painting the Ark of Sotek, they'll be purple like my Lustrians.
    Bastiladon3.jpg
    Like my Stegadons I built the war machines to be removable, so I can switch them at will. It also makes it easier to store and transport.

I'm really proud of this one. We're really getting into the whole End Times thing over here and it gave me an excuse to paint up another Skink Priest for the lore of undeath.
    Izaz1.jpg
    I was going for a voodoo witch-doctor vibe. I used a head from the Cold One kit for his totem, and I thought it wouldn't be complete without some shrunken heads.
    Izaz3.jpg
    I put those black spots on the feathers to suggest skeletal eye sockets.
    Izaz2.jpg
    I painted the trinkets, dagger and his helm as if carved from bone.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:jawdrop: o_O :jawdrop: o_O :jawdrop: :(
    Pure works of art man.

3. Vosrik
    Cold One

Vosrik Well-Known Member

Sooooooo good O_O how did you go about painting the scales on the bastilodon? They look very cool and turtle-like

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

This is the most beautifull lizardmen army ever seen! Do you have an overall army shot?

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Incredible painting man! :jawdrop: The Terradons, Basti and Priest are awesome! :D

6. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Love that Bastiladon paint scheme, consider parts of it snatched for my own. Specifically the transition to the ebon-colored hue at the tips of each of the spikes. well done, beautiful stuff everywhere!

7. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

It's strange to me that the Bastiladon is getting so much love, it's my least favourite. The beast itself only took two days to paint, and I feel I rushed it a bit. The end result I feel is drab. But here's how I painted the shell;

For reference I looked at pictures of Tortoises.
    I made up a custom colour in an old paint pot, it's a 1:1 mix of Naggaroth Night and Rhinox Hide. I call it 'Morr Purple'.
    Basecoat - Dryad Bark.
    Layer - Ungor flesh. This was watered down and stippled on in three layers.
    Highlight - Ushabti Bone. Applied as a freehand texture.
    Colour fade on spikes and edges - 2 layers thinned with medium of Morr Purple.
    I don't remember how I painted the scaly skin part, other than Tallarn Sand was the main colour there.

LizardWizard and Seraphage like this.
  8. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

As always, you never cease to amaze...

Very nice paint jobs on the models!

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Your scales and texture never fail to impress. The wings and head on the terradon look amazing. And the killer whale effect on the bastiladon fits the look of his head so well. Great idea. How on Earth did you come up with that? But most of all that skink is so over the top. You are rightfully proud. The different scale work and textures on the staff and dagger are spectacular! And ofc the gems' details. Might be the best skink I've ever seen.

10. Vosrik
    Cold One

Vosrik Well-Known Member

Hey, I was taking a look at all your pictures again and I was just wondering. Could you tell us a bit about how you do your bases? They all look incredible and I'd love to hear how you do them. :) I'm also curious if you've ever dabbled in water effects; I'm trying my hand with it now and I've had mixed results. It looks like your piranha-themed ripper earlier on has a bit of water on it but I can't tell.

11. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

There's a variety of different basing styles throughout the army.
    The earlier models are the standard sand and static grass technique. I kept it simple basecoating the sand in Khemri Brown then washing Devlan Mud over it. I preferred the Glade Grass because it was greener and more jungly, but I also used the other grasses as well.
    The more recent ones (the ones in this thread), use the newer texture paints. I mostly use Stirland Mud drybrushed with Steel Legion Drab, but have recently also added patches of Lustrian Undergrowth too. The grass I use now is Army Painter's Jungle Tufts.
    For the undergrowth I use etched brass leaves (both Citadel and others) and Woodland Scenics clump foliage. The dead leaves are sometimes Birch seed pods I collect from my garden, or dried herbs that I crush in my fingers and sprinkle on that way.
    For those desert Skinks I used the crackly Agrellan Earth over a Dryad Bark basecoat.

As for water effects, I've had mixed results too. I've used the liquid PVA stuff (usually called 'realistic water' I think) on the bases of Tetto Eko's Skink guard -
    SkinkGuard4.jpg
    I found it to be too much hassle to use again. The bases were a resin swamp themed set with depressions for the water areas. It was really fiddly to pour it in and it took four or five coats that dried really slowly. The finish is tacky, and seems to attract static grass.
    I copied my brother's idea for his Beastmen bases for the Ripperdactyl and Troglodon. It's really easy. First you leave some bare patches when applying the sand (or texture paint). Then paint those parts a darker brown, then gloss.
    My favourite water effect is Woodland Scenics 'EZ Water'. It's messy and risky, but you can't argue with the results when it works-
    Waterfall.jpg
    Fountain.jpg
    It's only good for larger projects like terrain. It's a kind clear resin that you have to heat up and pour. The falling water is mostly called just 'water effects', it's like a very thick PVA. I painted it onto a smooth surface, then peeled it off when it dried and glued it on.

I think that covers it, if I remember anything else I'll put it down.

LizardWizard, Warden, Sudaj and 5 others like this.
  12. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I just perused this entire thread... there are no words.... :jawdrop:

13. Vosrik
    Cold One

Vosrik Well-Known Member

Ok awesome! I love Woodland Scenic's stuff, I'm using their underbrush and realistic water as well. I also had to apply the realistic water several times before it eventually dried well.

14. Skinned15
    Jungle Swarm

Skinned15 New Member

Amazing, gives me a lot of ideas

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

On page 4 there's a skink chief with a spear and a green gem inside it. In case neveroddoreven doesn't reply can any of you tell me where it's from?

16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

@Pinktaco

Pretty sure thats a standard skink priest converted to have the kroq gar sword and then a sphere on the staff, could be wrong.

17. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

no further down there's a skink chief

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

OK I totally went back and liked every picture, because they are just that awesome. :cool::spiderman::pompus::jimlad::cigar::snaphappy::photogenic::wideyed:

Slanputin likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

They are absolutely splendid!

20. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

I was just perusing the forums and noticed this old thread got bumped.
    I've been out of the old Warhammer since January. These are uncertain times, and I had been compelled to discover other games (having lots of fun with Infinity at the moment).
    I'll update this thread soon with new pictures including my new Carnosaur and a ninja Skink. I also just picked up a bargain Slann from a local wargaming expo (£15, metal in shrink-wrapped box!).

In response to Pinktaco's question, I think that's just a Ripperdactyl rider's speartip.

n810 and Pinktaco like this.