1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Sleepy corner

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by JTSleep, Jun 9, 2022.

1. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

here is bottle, it says water based. Still licking my brushes.
    300718326_593733145542616_423975389938999276_n.jpg

I really like them so far. Only thing that is a setback is that reactivation. That is preventable, but I still need to spend some time to work out how to proceed with mini (which surfaces to paint first to be able to do most before varnishing and cleaning up overdraws.
    But on some parts I actually used that reactivation to serve me a purpose. For example on knights I mixed unique shades and painted each of them differently to spice things up. This meant that I lacked exact mix for corrections. When I found out next day that I missed small part of mini (some corner, or part of eyelid) I simply reactivated most pooled up surface (backside of knee) and had small amount of exact shade I used on that mini.

Till yesterday I only had that small box with 10 bottles and I ordered plasmatic bolt (because it is ideal for lizards) as extra. Yesterday I received package with all the missing bottles, so I now have whole range (which is manageable as it is only around 25 bottles).

Also, I am working on SC:Skinks Starpriest and Check that Runic grey on staff and dagger! My god it is amazing (yup, I am that thrilled)

IMG20220825122921.jpg
    IMG20220825122932.jpg

Edit: Also Everything in this blog is painted by speedpaints as my personal challenge. Otherwise I use vallejo for classic painting.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  2. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Starpriest done.

Also, one more pro for reactivation... There is black speedpaint smudge on starpriest´s hand holding staff. I noticed it only after shooting pictures. I simply licked my finger and took it off.

IMG20220826095842.jpg

- Q -, Bowser, Just A Skink and 3 others like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

You've done a great job here. Nice use of colors and very clean!

JTSleep likes this.
  4. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Woohoo! 100th post!

One salamander done.
    IMG_20220827_140133.jpg

- Q -, Bowser, Just A Skink and 3 others like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Congrats! You're on your way!

Looks like we may have another contender @NIGHTBRINGER ...

This looks amazing! Well done!

- Q -, Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  6. JTSleep
    Stegadon

As it took me almost 3 months, I wouldn't call myself contender of any kind. :D

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Where there is a will, there is a way my friend.

Remember the Tortoise and the Hare...

- Q -, Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  8. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Also 3 months of building and painting only lizzards took some enthusiasm from me. I need small distraction. I looked through pile of unbuilt models and found some mushrooms.
    IMG_20220827_213646.jpg

Edit: not for full army, I'll be building small greenskin kill team, so 11-14 models total.

So far, plan is two fire teams of 3xchoppa, 1x rokkit, 1x shoota. Then boss Nob and two gretchins in case I want to exchange them for one of boyz.

Bowser, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  9. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Kiddo's afternoon nap payed off.
    One fire team, boss and gretchins (with extra to try out paint schemes) are ready for degreasing and priming.
    IMG_20220828_133141.jpg

Edit: I asked around and was adviced to ditch shootas and make more choppas instead. As I already have those models assembled, I will paint them anyway, but they will be only in roster and not final killteam.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  10. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Lol. I know this probably won't stop you (or most mini painters), but I don't think you should lick your brushes. Aside from the binding agents in paints, which is an acrylic polymer in standard acrylic paints, many pigments can be toxic as well. Paints used to be made with lead, and I could still buy "Lead White" oil paint in university. Aside from lead, paint pigments can be made with cadmium, cobalt, barium and other harder to pronounce materials/chemicals. Is a single lick of the brush enough to cause problems? Probably not. But after time... just be mindful.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    JTSleep likes this.
  11. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I am not a doctor, but I suppose that any agent is mostly washed while cleaning brushes which precedes said licking :)
    To be honest, I get more health problems by gluing figures together as my eczema reacts when I use plastic cement.

Just A Skink likes this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Ah. I thought you were licking brushes with paint on them, which I've seen several other painters do. Right or wrong even I lick washed brushes to help keep a nice point on them.

Yes, plastic cement can be tough on the skin. Sorry.

JTSleep likes this.
  13. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Those kinds of toxic and harmful pigments don't tend to be used at all in miniature specific paint brands. However if you branch out into using any artist acrylics or other fine art projects then you definitely need to be wary of that.

JTSleep and Just A Skink like this.
  14. JTSleep
    Stegadon

As it was raining whole weekend, I had no time to spray prime KT models. When I was packing painting supplies to work yesterday, I found out that temple guard models are too big for my usual model box. So I quickly grabbed gretchings and packed primer in addition to speedpaints. Brainstorm idea was to prime them black and drybrush them to state where I can use speedpaints on them at evening, or tomorrow. Then boss came in and gave me task that gave me hour of free time while PC was opening large file.
    I finished them all. My go to skin tone is Malignant green with just a smidge of orc skin to it to darken it a bit. I tried it on first spare grot and liked it so much that I mixed bunch of it and did them all...

Also I watched Dana Howl´s video about speedpaint reactivation and whole figures were made without any layer of varnish during painting (I guess it saved about 20% f time).

IMG20220829135853.jpg

IMG20220829135931.jpg

IMG20220829135941.jpg

IMG20220829135954.jpg

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Wow, these look great!

- Q - likes this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great work on those, lovely colorscheme, green and purple work good together!

Grrr, Imrahil

17. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Thanks, I am honestly suprised how pleased I am with them. :D

Thanks :) My reasoning was that they are so squishy they would try to at least wear something purple to emulate kommandos being invisible to enemy while purple. :D

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  18. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Those are some really nice looking gretchin, good job!

JTSleep likes this.
  19. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Good to know. I've always wondered about that with miniature paint brands. Thanks!

Explodingzeb likes this.
  20. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I managed to prime 5 of boyz tonight. Good thing I'm not doing that in office, as it took hour to prime them with brush. I'll be taking two of them to work with me and we'll see how fast can I paint them, as they have roughly 3x more surface than gretchin. I suppose I'll be lucky to paint one.
    IMG_20220829_212155.jpg