1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Sleepy corner

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by JTSleep, Jun 9, 2022.

1. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Last couple of days were quite dramatic. Whole family now with covid, kiddo went to hospital due to complications (they released him next day), so there was no energy for hobby. Today, I no longer felt like husk when I woke up, so early morning, I snuck up to balcony so I do not inhale glue and put together engine of the gods. Skink crew is currently at office where I'll not have access for some time.

Now at evening, I took out skinks to make at least some progress on them and found out that I don't have any good brushes left at home. I need to get some of my cheap ones to working condition tomorrow.

2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That temple looks great, really great work! :artist::artist::artist:

Just A Skink, Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  3. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Thanks a lot, it was real fun to make. I should have finished piece pictures tomorrow if pylons dry correctly.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  4. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Realmshaper finished:
    IMG20220809124837.jpg

And I finally found my stash of milliput, so I could sit those knights on cold ones:
    IMG_20220809_130332.jpg

- Q -, Warden, Tyranitar and 4 others like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

- Q - and JTSleep like this.
  6. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Thanks a lot, I hope nobody checks them closer as there are plenty of overdraws :D

Also on funny note, I ordered box of skinks couple of days ago and today, while checking order status, I noticed for the first time that I in fact ordered chameleon skinks :D

And some progress on my classic skinks, I am about 70% done, but no pictures taken before I shoved them back to cupboard.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  7. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Some skinky bussiness out of the way :)
    They are nowhere near perfect, but they'll do just fine when looked at from 3 feet. :)
    Now I have to decide what to do next.

skinks.jpg

Just A Skink, Warden, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Love the cold ones and the skinks, you have painted them some gorgeous and bright colors!

JTSleep likes this.
  9. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Thanks a lot, but most of this I own to speedpaints. That great saurus green is achieved by mixing 1:1 zealot yellow : plasmatic bolt and me figuring out was one of those happy accidents actually. :)

As for those skinks, they go way back to third page of blog:
    Maybe that overexposure of light helped to hide some bad spots, but they are not great :D
    When I order box of skinks (correct ones this time), I need to properly degrease them prior to painting.

10. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Next move is decided. One unit of guards, 2 salamanders (without handlers right now), DIY ark of sotek and EOTG.
    I need to do basing on guards (milliput stone carvings are drying right now) and degrease all. With some luck, I should be able to prime them tomorrow evening.

IMG20220815213746.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  11. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Allright, all primed and as bonus I added starpriest from SC:Skinks I already had prepared and forgot to include in last update.

IMG_20220817_100722.jpg

IMG_20220817_131954.jpg

I found out that my primer changed color in between batches and that is why it seemed darker last time I used it and had to buy white spray to lighten it.

I used what was left in old spray to prime big dinos on first photo and newer spray to prime platforms and bases, so difference is clearly visible. Then second priming session of guards and starpriest was done with newer (darker) primer and then white zenithal. There will be some painting soon :)

I can now return to painting :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  12. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Small progress at least. Bases for EOTG, Ark and salamanders are mostly done. I used my normal method of choosing color scheme (decide on number of paints and then grab them randomly) and started with Ark, as it is one of my oldest WIPs here.
    IMG_20220819_115822.jpg IMG_20220819_115842.jpg

13. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I am finished with dino himself, now onto the crew & snakes!
    IMG_20220820_215336.jpg

- Q -, Explodingzeb and Imrahil like this.
  14. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Allrighty... Crew and snakes are at the office. Darn, time to start on other ones. OPR spiked lizards (to be used as salamanders). I had to get them printed at 75% scale to fit bases and those details became really small. Also one of them had some imperfections, so I decided to rough him up a little.

IMG_20220821_134836.jpg

- Q -, Imrahil and Explodingzeb like this.
  15. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Today is just small update. Nothing significant. I varnished salamanders to keep speedpaints from reactivating during cleanup and found old EM4 orc primed white, so I decided to use him as guinea pig for spray varnish that I want to use for all my seraphon. It is from same company as my primer, so it should be fine, but I rather test it first than ruin all the minis I painted in last 3 months :)
    If it works fine, I can finally start putting some tufts and grass on bases.

16. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I spent hour on repainting one salamander to get all those overdraws from blending colors. :D I hated myself...
    But then it took only 20 minutes to make armor plates, so at least some progress.
    IMG20220823213954.jpg

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Looks excellent!

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

He does look great actually. Nice one.

- Q - likes this.
  19. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Thanks guys. This was the first time I tried dark grey speedpaint on silver base. I am really pleased with that result.

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

How do you like the speed paints thus far? I'm wary because they are reputedly liquid resin based?